Now is the time to get your business out front of the competition. Whilst others are enjoying the enforced break or trying to juggle full time family responsibilities, you need to be busy building your business. It’s not time for a well-earned albeit enforced break its time to beast your business like a boss!!
"Ask them what they might want from you once lock down is over ..... "
1. Be Flexible – Think about what your clients will want once lock down is over. Will they want you to continue the additional infection control measures that you recently put in place? Will they anticipate longer/different opening hours? Think as your clients think, what will they want from you in the new world? Will clients want a mobile service initially? Preferring to stay home and have treatments? Is it possible for you to add this to your service offering? Can you use this time to connect now with your client base and ask them what they might want from you once lock down is over? This will help you plan and be prepared for what may be ahead. Remember it may just mean a tweak to your current business model.
"..... or create a newsletter that allows you to offer DIY beauty tips ..... "
2. Can you adapt what you do to meet client demand remotely? Can you offer instruction videos and email them direct to clients? This more personal route shows your clients that you're thinking of them and tailoring videos or instructions directly to them rather than to the masses. Can you add a blog function to your website or create a newsletter that allows you to offer DIY beauty tips but also conversation on how you're doing during lock down and advice on when you think you may re-open and what that might look like for them.
"Think about how you use social media, can you target more effectively ..... "
3. Marketing - Communicate to your clients what you're able to offer right now. Can you create nail removal kits from your existing stock and sell these to clients for instance with an accompanying link to your video instructions for removal? Can you come up with marketing ideas on reaching more potential clients? Think about how you use social media, can you target more effectively, for instance if you use Instagram could you target a message/discount at the hashtag for your town? That way you are staying local and more likely to get local custom.
"are you worried that you will lose customers ..... "
4. Do you know what challenges are facing your business right now and, in the weeks, ahead? Make a list of what you think may be challenges for you in the coming weeks and start to think through strategies to deal with them. For instance, are you worried that you will lose customers due to increased demand when lock down ends? How can you increase your capacity to cope? Could you do extend open hours, could you draft in freelance mates to help out?
"Do you comment on your clients/ friends/ family Facebook or Instagram..... "
5. Find new customers NOW - Start really building up your client network. Ask your clients to refer a friend and offer a gift voucher for those who do, open your appointment book now, clients will want to get appointments booked so they don’t get lost in the inevitable stampede for bookings. Do you comment on your clients/ friends/ family Facebook or Instagram? Use these as opportunities to push deals, offers and appointment bookings. Don’t forget your old clients or occasional users. Now is the time to really go through your client database and make contact, remind these clients you are there and what you can offer, offer them a discounted appointment If they book now- turn those old/seldom attend clients into shiny new clients desperate to fill up your diary. Can you target any networks you may be part of? Such as school mum groups or other beauty creatives groups. Everyone will be needing treatments once lock down is over and may not be able to get into their usual salon so make sure they are reminded of what you can offer, and you may find they will come to you rather than wait. If you have done your business challenge list above or looked at being more flexible you may just find that new extended opening hours or a reminder that you offer free parking is enough to get you some custom among networks you haven’t until now exploited.
Founder and CEO - The Beauty App